Thursday, February 25, 2021

 

"Trunk of Old Papers"

Juried Exhibit Atlantic Gallery NYC 2021


Trunk of Old Papers is a reworking and rethinking of an older piece that was part of a solo exhibit called The Journal Project mounted in 2000.  I have mentioned both the reworking and the reflecting on the works in the show in 2000 in a previous post.  This work is a reflection on the personal opening of old trunks of memory. It is made of handmade paper that includes the shreds of my grandmother's journals.  My reflections revolve around an awareness of a family history that is connected to a period  in the South (and elsewhere) to the devaluation of African Americans.  Contemporary events that expose the horrors of that devaluation have prompted me to revisit my own work.
             
                            
Detail with old paper and new paper emerging from the side.







No comments:

Post a Comment